Sunday, April 26, 2009

Diagnosis__Welcome to Hell

Let me start by telling you I was told December 13th, 2007 that they found two tumors in the colon and both cancerous. It was stage IV advanced and the tumors were at the sigmoid and the rectum area. Along with this it had metastasized to the liver. Their words were, "Mr. Holtman we used to send people home in your situation but we have a couple of new medicines we'll try and at least help the pain."
Since that time,in the beginning, I had 6 weeks of radiation everyday and chemo everyday at the same time.
I lost 78 lbs during that time and any dignity I had. Every test imaginable was given and some twice. Then surgery on April 3rd, 2008 for approximately 4 hours by two surgeons.
Two tumors, Gall Bladder, liver biopsy, and one colostomy later I was out of surgery. Oh yes, they lost me several times in recovery.
I forgot that I also had to go back and get the Porta Catheder put in my chest, which I still use. The reason I still use this is because I go in every 14 days for chemo.
This happens on a Tuesday for 5 to 6 hours and then the pump is hooked to me that pumps 24/7 for the next 3 days. When it beeps I go back to the clinic and get it removed and look forward to what days I have left before this starts all over again. I'll share side effects at a later date.
The real story, which you wouldn't believe, is all the stuff I have left out. It will be coming out in book form around the first of 2010. You'll get a lot of laughs and gasps from all that has gone on. God has been so good to me.
The doctors can't figure out how I am still here, But I know and I'll tell you.

No comments:

Post a Comment